Man dies after eating raw Oysters at Florida restaurant

|

|

The second recent fatality associated with a shipment of Louisiana shellfish occurred after a man died after consuming raw oysters in a Florida restaurant.

The man, who has not been named, had just finished eating at the Rustic Inn in Fort Lauderdale, a well-liked restaurant known for its garlic crabs, when he suddenly became ill, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. It was discovered that eating raw oysters triggered the bacterial infection that was his cause of death.

According to Gary Oreal, manager of the Rustin Inn, the deceased man had previously worked at the restaurant for years.

We have served a few billion oysters over the span of 60 years, and nobody has ever gotten sick like this gentleman, the man claimed.

Oreal remarked that the restaurant has a notice cautioning customers about the dangers of eating raw shellfish despite not having personally experienced a comparable situation.

The appearance, smell, or flavor of an oyster contaminated with Vibrio bacterium is unaffected. The Centers for Disease Control estimate that 80,000 Americans contract vibriosis annually and that 100 of them pass away as a result.

According to the Pensacola News Journal, a man in Pensacola passed away earlier this month after getting oyster market bacteria.

The shellfish originated from Louisiana in both cases.

Follow Us On

MOST POPULAR

More